Hello everyone, this December my family found an (at that time) unidentified chrysalis on an egg carton that was given to us by a relative to reuse. I took it upon myself to keep it and due to the cold weather, I did not expect this to be a surviving chrysalis. Little did I know it was a chrysalis to a cloudless sulfur (Phoebis sennae), as just today it hatched and is perched on my dresser. Currently, the weather is very adverse for the survival of insects where I live, and it is approximately 12°F (-11°C) at the moment. I could attempt to kill and pin the specimen, but I currently don't have all of the required materials to do that as effectively as I would like to. Otherwise, I could kill and preserve the specimen to pin at a later date, or I could attempt to keep it alive until I do, or until I could release it. What would you guys recommend? This is a very unexpected turn of events, which is why I am hoping to get some advice on how I should handle this situation.
As its not a hibernating butterfly, its life span will be not that long. if you want to feed it, try sugar water or honey water on a towel, details can be found on the web. By the time it dies, I suspect it will not be any condition for a specimen.
I decided to go with the option of killing it to preserve it as a specimen, as I find that will provide more value than keeping it alive to provide nothing, essentially. I plan on keeping it frozen until I can get what I need to pin it and spread it (approx. 2 weeks time). Can provide pictures after that happens. I appreciate your feedback, Nomad, and this is how I came to my conclusion.